Last Summer’s Mornings When I Woke



jp melville, elora, ontario, canada, fort mcmurray, farming, agriculture





Last Summer’s Mornings When I Woke
december 1982
jp melville

Last summer’s mornings when I woke
I’d throw my blankets off and climb from bed
Pull on my jeans then mutter my way downstairs
To step outside and out beyond the house to hillside.

Looking out across the valley span
I’d take my morning piss
And breathe damp air, cool, thick
Tasting like grasses and pollen and pine -
My skin would shiver against the moisture
My arms, my chest, and back and belly naked
My toes and feet gone numb in wet grass;
Arching backwards – ugh – stretching
Spreading arms and fingers to dawn’s pale sky.

Down in that valley, there’s a stream
In my memory blanketed
By thick morning, winding mist
Wending its way wherever the waters beneath it did…
And the old leaning willows and cedar groves looked all asleep
Because it was darker down there in the valley
Darker than the hillsides where dawn’s morning light
Sunrise just skimmed over our horizon.

I stood there,
Everything quiet, still,
Then voices drifting…
And the sound of ducks and geese cackling…
Every morning into eternity…
Our neighbours at their chores, feeding time…
A clamouring floats over to me us
We know in our distant tied togetherness a day’s begun.

Sometimes, I wondered then,
Do we, how, greet the morning day’s wonder the way I had done,
When I would go back into the house
Put shoes and shirt on
And then trek back outside and to the barns
To do my our everyone’s life long chores…
As the day has sunrise begun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Another Day