Across the Raging Light


jp melville, poems, elora, highway 7, ontario, canada













Star Mother’s Child
She Told Me: Across the Raging Light
31 July 2006
jp melville

on seeing the photo of young girls signing bombs…


I fell away once upon a long long time ago
Believing then that toppling was the nature of all things,
Dust to dust,
Ashes to ashes,
Resignation held high to the hands of One.
I am just resurfacing from the depths and rejoining the fray.
From light into darkness, I doubted.
Or from darkness into light, courage said.

Either way,
music on the radio,
rain falling from a midnight sky,
laundry to fold,
i remember the picture of young girls signing bombs
and a star mother's child just taking hold
in infinity...
telling me...
blessed be the one who reaches across the raging light
for faith and hope will burn your hands,
through love
you will leave the bombs behind.

My God,
today I saw a mother smile,
teaching her daughters to sign the bombs,
and in the background,
the soldiers waiting to load
and fire
killing children beyond the raging light.

And I saw then here,
on the floor of my laundry room
in a crayoned drawing of my daughter's
the story of a star mother
and all she did
was to reach her child beyond the raging light
to have him take root
in the loving arms
of infinity.

Yes,
I fell away once upon a long long time ago,
Then I rose,
From darkness into light
And with courage from light into darkness,
For now I know,
That I
Because my daughter
Am
Because someone chose to reach across the raging light
And leave the bombs behind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Another Day