Caravanserai - Dawn Creeps in Through the Mist























Caravanserai – Dawn Creeps in Through the Mist
2000+
 jp melville


<song play chris isaak cover london grammar wicked game>

Caravanserai, sleeping above where the camels once slept.

A stone building with wide, tall archways, hosting travellers who now have nowhere to go but toward visiting the past, worlds not yet wholly versions of Dupont and EveReady and Nylon, yet celebrating New Year on December 31st.

Odd how we travel from airport to airport, from faucet to faucet that turn clockwise to open, from white granular salt that pours to white granular salt that pours...

Yet we long for distinction in our lives, to say that we have been there and done that, there which is where we are not and that which is not this.

And we try to do this by travelling, fucking a no one, and staying in places like those where camels once slept.

Caravanserai…

Where, I wonder, is the stench of manure in the cracks of these cold walls?
Where, I wonder, is the stench of sweat of men who have travelled months,
carrying treasures from one land to the next and back again?
Where are the scimitars protecting gold?
Where are the vocal bellows of bargaining,
among those local traders
who have come to the caravanserai
to buy what might be sold?

In the drifting chant of the imam this four thirty in the morning…
I drift with God
and less and less with humanity…
where I lie awake by candlelight writing these notes
I believe maybe that I hear a world other than mine...

In this caravanserai…
in the hollow eyes of the waiter who brought bread to our table last night
I believe that I see emotion that I will never know…
from the clammy cold walls of this silent room,
I believe I smell the ghosts of men dreaming of their daughters and sons whom they have not seen for half a year or more.

So I consider myself lucky,
for many that I know
my sisters, my brothers, my childhood friends
they could never imagine being here
though… I know that they envy me for being here
they would not understand that I find it
hardly remarkable and wholly transcendent God’s new world only where you and I live
here in Sheki, in the foothills of the Caucasus mountain range…
from where it is conceivable that our white skin was born
from where it is conceivable that the Mohammedans
may have made our world theirs if it had not been for the Khazars and the Jews.

Here I am , blessed,  enshrouded in a wonderful mystery
a fog that has swept down off the mountains
to look out through a tiny stone window into the cobbled courtyard
toward which all the rooms face
no windows to the exterior of the building
even these doorways are arched on this second floor
like those below
and if I wish in this moment I can step out onto an interior veranda
that stretches around the interior of the building
where I smell camel
sweat of men
trading for their families
for the woman they miss so terribly…
Here I am blessed…
to have arrived here with my small family of wife son daughter
at an hour when dusk had just fallen
and the electricity was off
and the call to prayer floated over the town from a dozen minarets
invisible in the falling darkness, the voice of Allah...

Resigned to life as it unfolds
we travel with foreigners
from history
Ali and Nino…
or are we…
Ali and Nino…

Oh… I step from my dream… who am I… alive…. dream…

but they are not…
they are just so ordinary people…
Junus and Chen
so most always the case with foreign aid workers, pleasant enough
easy going, chatty, friendly
work with World Vision
a rather Christian… uhm… organization…
for the most part provides charitable aid in poor countries…
here in Azerbaijan, where I write this thought
they offer food aid, free maize and rice and sardines and cooking oil and beans
from nations like the United States and Canada and Germany
which reminds me that I had once given as a gift to my mother a can of sardines
labelled as food aid from Germany
that I had purchased in a restaurant in some corner of the planet
carried home with me to Canada
a palpable story about the politics of food aid and free food
the idea that food is a weapon…

Ha!

These thoughts generating those sorts of blank stares
where you realize that it is time to laugh
change the subject
because little has or ever will change in this world of ours.

Myself only further dismayed
found myself and my love
travelling with colleagues from the International Rescue Committee
whose history was deleted from my digital space in 2001
we sat with Nick and Lainie, were taking holiday with their little child, Alice
and, for some sake, a collective of parents and grandparents
who had come to visit them from the United States and Britain
a gaggle of gogglers
complete with Gortex and Nikon and four wheel drive Japanese Mitsubishis
backpacks of bright yellow and forest green and Wetnaps for the baby
dinner had been shared together
no one drank too much, no one laughed too much
all was nice and pleasant
photos taken of the children all together
everybody liked the interesting food
cheese and bread and meat on a plate with knives and forks…

later, in the darkness,
I heard voices, somewhere opposite across the courtyard
far away in the mists, clinking glasses filled with gin and tonic brought for the occasion
muffled voices fading, fading, gone…

later, in the darkness
I heard absolute silence from out there beyond the gates
ghosts of history
from among the other (Other)
this room paid for a welcome on the surface
but money making us no more than strangers in a strange land
streams of blood that have never and never will mix…

I shiver, wishing hurriedly for the dawn…

ooohhhh … breath…. breathe…

Of course, my family sleeps, a sleep that I cannot call to me.
The children in their worlds far away from mine.
Their mother even further away, far, far away,
drifting further as we spin mercilessly in this universe,
far from my writing, my poetry, my philosophy,
all of which I understand – mis-understand.
Oddly close as mother of my children.
I love her in our distance to never be reconciled.
Which I also understand, that we are at once one and two,
an eternal tension,
though for us who the rest of us maybe you
are secular and industrial, leading your saccharine existences,
sadly and catastrophically absent of a conscious Whole.

Give up your absolute in love to God?

Ha!

So I continue to write a story to try to explain…


So alone, it is I who is wrapped in these mists of time
my time, my history and our measured in some sense of time
of bloodshed, of lust, of politics so shallow but I believe are true
so true I will kick you out of my house
You will misunderstand a need to leave and sleep
simultaneously bound down
heavily
oh what a weight
by the immeasurably heavy sadness of Nietzsche’s god is dead world.


I wonder, in these close, stone walled rooms of caravanserai
with wooden floors
what pleasures past
that travelling men sought
what worries they had
what fatigue they carried on their shoulders
what thoughts they had of their women and families whom they had left behind
carrying wares from town to town
region to region
land to distant land
through forests and past farms and unprotected villages
wayfaring strangers
like us
you
me
strangers in a strange land...
after all
there is only one home, where one finds one’s heart
oneself in those whom one loves
I am one in the family I raise.


But now, in the earliest hours before dawn, I feel ill.
Again.
On my lip a cold fever sore and several in my mouth,
even in my sinuses and ears.
My skin on my face and on my scalp is sensitive to the touch.
Bowels have stopped moving.
A condition that comes and goes since Guatemala.
How many years ago was that?
Sarcoidosis, the medical system finally called it, after five years of no diagnosis.
Worsened by alcohol and sugar,
which I keep to minimum…

Ha!

But I vomited again several weeks ago
after only several ounces of vodka.
Aggravated by stress?  High workload?
Fear all around me of the Muslim other,
those collapsing buildings in New York,
now genetically stored in the collective consciousness.

Fear which I sense but do not feel.

Either…
I am sick and my subconscious will not protect
or
long ago I left my world far behind
the symptoms I feel
but those of withdrawal
a self-appointed exile
there is no longer a going home.

Dawn creeps in through the mist.
The air is lighter, cooler.
I breathe deeply through my nostrils.
Turn over under my covers.
Wife beside me long gone.
I close my eyes.
I sleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Another Day