Prairies




jp melville, cabin, ottawa, canada


Prairies
november 1982
jp melville


To hell with your world and what’s in it.
When I need sleep I’ll take for a bed a small space.
When I am hungry I will take my food what’s there.
Of clothes I need little.

I will follow my dreams, my whims, my fancy,
Have no shackling chains,
So when I have love
Love shall flow free
Nor accept no bonds in return.

No institution, no people’s law, no matrimony
Shall confine me,
Bound by tradition to provide
Security.

Look:
A mundane home,
Wages, salaries,
We are all confidants to credit despotic,
Material bulk, mistresses to fashion,
Even goals and amusements just a soul’s anaesthetic
Leading deep into your pit
Diverging me from I.

Aha!
To say goodbye to one and hello to another!
Once the world has turned round full
Step again, dance again,
Sing for the spirits of change
Accompany us to tomorrow,
New dawn, new light, challenge
What lies beyond my threshold!
Oh ecstasy of freedom!
Of freedom!

Take to the prairies
The woods, the hills, the mountains, the lakes, rivers, streams
Where freedom reigns,
For I knew once freedom in the prairies
Where yet we have yet defiled land
Where earth smells intoxicate me
Where wind sweeps through my hair
And your breath
And your blood
Sky passing clouds from here to nowhere
Land, thoughts, dust….

On distant horizons my prairies
Beckon me forever
To listen to the calling
In my our to hell with your world and what's in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Another Day