If We Are Moral So Too A Tree

jp melville, cabin, ottawa, ontario, apocalypse



If We Are Moral So Too A Tree
february 2020
jp


Takeoff from Toronto Billy Bishop Airport.
I want to be impressed by the endless sea of city lights.
And I am.
Wasted to use words like awesome or spectacular,
Because they confer respect and marvelling.
Can’t use fearsome or shocking,
I’d have to be enthralled by us humans
Or believe that I matter
Which I don’t.
I am too far past the assumption that morality is involved…
Morality…
What is that?
For if we are moral
So too a tree.

My feeling is more indifference to the magnanimity
No, the ubiquity of the species…
Buildings people machines lights…
All too common to any longer impress.

The pleasure remains in knowing
The people I just met in Thunder Bay
Tanner and Rosemary and John and Petyal
Me invited into the details of their lives
Simplefull, meaningfull, eternal without time or measure…
Me understanding that they
Hold no responsibility to
The irrevocable squander of the species
Itself wasted, as all things it touches.
Because my new friends
They were just born here
They did not ask permission from the stars
More likely that the stars themselves put us here.

In this, an odd perception
That the individual and the species are separate creatures
Incomparable
Such that any effort to do so, compare
Is pointless.

And if you, I, me, we are moral…
So too a tree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Another Day