From Where I Stand - Iqaluit

jp melville, iqaluit, canada, ottawa, mark brodric





From Where I Stand - Iqaluit
5 May 2020
jp


I look across your bay
I see horizons
Of ice and rock and distance and even eternity.

I look down I see yellow blue silver walls
I see blue silver red rooves
Down far enough away, houses like a toy set.

I took my first trip there years ago
Now  I see not much has changed
So much nowhere people to be seen.

Sure a person wanders by
In a dimension not yours
I am invisible
Reach out my hand to touch
Worlds and words so far apart my fingers disappear in the aether.
The gossamer soul dissolves before my eyes.

Even my own people, a loose definition
White, educated, speaking English only
We have colleagues to reach toward, embrace
But the bones crackle if you squeeze too hard
Skin slips away if you get too close
Their dimensions are denser at times
Then dissolve like tinkling broken stars falling through darkness
And now I remember not one name with whom I  then worked and met.

So this time round
I climb the hill alone
And wander across the barrens
Where the birds and plants and fear of bear
Breathe in my life and I in theirs
Immediate saturation
Humming satisfaction
Life force sated…

From where I stand – Iqaluit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Another Day